Preserving our planet is a necessity and an issue that we must not ignore. At Innovafeed we consider that sustainability, far from being a cost, is an argument for economic competitiveness. We believe that it is our responsibility to invent the production methods of tomorrow combining performance and sustainability so that each of us can have access to sustainable and quality products.
We scientifically assess the environmental impact of the models and products we develop in order to be able to communicate rigorously and transparently on our environmental performance as well as to continue to improve it.
Our environmental impact is thus assessed and analyzed by independent experts through the realization of Life Cycle Analyzes (LCA, the best tool in terms of global and multi-criteria assessment of environmental impacts).
Thanks to these LCAs, we have thus developed and deployed a production model that is unique in the world for products with demonstrated and quantified environmental performance.
A unique industrial symbiosis model
Innovafeed colocates its production site (Nesle, France) with two existing industrial players:
- The starch manufacturer Tereos, from which we directly get supplied in wet agricultural by-products through a pipeline connecting the two sites
- this avoids transporting them but also drying them, an essential step for truck transportation
- The green energy plant of Kogeban, from which we recover the waste energy (energy which was until then dissipated in the atmosphere) to power our factory
- this waste energy represents 60% of Innovafeed’s energy needs
- the remaining 40% being made up of renewable energy
Thanks to this colocation, Innovafeed:
- Reduces its environmental impact by 80%
- Reduces the environmental impact of its neighbors by offering them short-loop valorization routes
- Strengthens the local industrial ecosystem and therefore employment in the territories
Finally, this production model is replicable:
- Starting 2021, Innovafeed will replicate its model in the United States, in Illinois, one of the largest agricultural basins in the world, to upcycle by-products currently not valorized.
- About fifteen other sites in Europe, Asia and the United States are also under study.
For products with quantified environmental performance
The environmental performance of Innovafeed products was measured through a Life Cycle Analysis carried out by Quantis in February 2020.
Each tonne of fishmeal replaced by insect protein from Innovafeed saves:
- 3T of forage fish and no impact on marine biodiversity
- at least 660kg of CO2
Each ton of vegetable oil replaced by Innovafeed insect oil saves:
- at least 3800m2 of arable land and no impact on deforestation
- at least 1200kg of CO2
And each year, the fertilizer produced by Innovafeed allows more than 1800T of CO2 to be stored sustainably in the soil.